Saturday, February 10, 2007

Echinacea--coneflower

The Transatlantic Plantsman had a note on some newly introduced coneflowers. They are one of my favorite prairie plants. I grew them very successfully back in Washington. Of course they had good drainage and plenty of good hot sun. They thrived, rebloomed and were consistently hardy. Henk Gerritsen & Piet Oudolf in "Dream Plants for the Natural Garden" rank them low. I quote: "It is extremely frustrating to have to admit that Echinacea is not reliable." They go on to say that they will not tolerate competition, and they dissappear after two years. I have an idea it is their wet winter conditions. I have had Echinacia be short lived, but not consistently short lived. There are numerous seed varieties that are vigorous and hardy that I recommend. With just a little web search I found a bunch more colors and varieties I must try. My mother has grown some of these new purpurea and paradoxa crosses. They were robust and in a glorious explosion of color while I was visiting last summer.

Seed catalogs bring out the compulsive explorer in me. So many plants, so little time and money.

North Creek Nurseries

Echinacea 'Sunrise'


Echinacea Conefections 'Coconut Lime'

Echinacea Conefections 'Coconut Lime'



Plant Delights
Echinacea purpurea x paradoxa 'Evan Saul'

Echinacea purpurea 'Fragrant Angel'

Echinacea 'Mango Meadowbrite'

Echinacea purpurea x paradoxa 'Mathew Saul'


Niche Gardens
Echinacea purpurea x paradoxa 'Harvest Moon'


Echinacea purpurea x paradoxa 'Sundown'




White Flower Farm
Echinacea Green Envy

Terra Nova Nurseries


Echinacea Tiki Torch

Echinacea purpurea 'Pink Double Delight'

Echinacea paradoxa



Echinacea tennesseensis Rocky Top Hybrids: Tennessee Coneflower

Echinacea purpurea 'Double Decker'